Sunday, January 17, 2010

Mochaccino Brownie Wedges


I have been on a mini baking hiatus because I am trying to lose a few pounds. This is so hard for me because I love to cook and bake, and making healthy baked goods just doesn't sound as fun. I finally gave in today. My friends and Co-workers usually get lucky when this happens because they reap the benefits of my need to bake.  This was a very simple, one mixing bowl recipe, but even better, I was able to make the entire recipe without having to go to the grocery store. So, Mochaccino Brownie Wedges from the Hay Day Country Market Cookbook, it was.  






Mochaccino Brownie Wegdes
from Hay Day Country Market


About 3 Tbs. unsweetened cocoa powder, for dusting
generous 1/2 C. blanched hazelnuts (I did a mix of walnuts and hazelnuts)
8 Tbs. (1 stick) Unsalted Butter
4 ounces (2/3 C.) Semisweet chocolate coarsley chopped (I used Semisweet Chocolate chips)
2 Tbs. finely ground dark roast coffee (I had whole bean and used my magic bullet to grind it very fine)
1 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
3/4 C. sugar
3/4 C. unbleached all-purpose flour
1/4 tsp. salt


Preheat oven to 350F. Lightly butter 8-inch square baking pan, and dust it with cocoa powder ( This is one ingredient I did not have, so I lined the pan with parchment paper and then buttered it). 


Scatter hazelnuts in a small baking pan and toast them for about 5 minutes. Remove the nuts from the oven. Coarsely chop them and set them to the side. 


Melt butter and chocolate in a small heavy bottom saucepan over low heat. Add coffee, cinnamon, and vanilla and stir until smooth and combined. Remove from heat and stir in the sugar. Add the eggs, one at a time, stirring briskly after each addition. Stir until mixture is thick and shiny. Then stir in the flour, salt, and all but 2 Tbs. of the nuts. 


Scrape the batter into the prepared pan and spread out evenly. Sprinkle reserved 2 Tbs. of nuts, pressing them slightly into the batter. Bake in the middle of the oven until the brownies are firm to the touch and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with moist crumbs attached, about 30 minutes. Remove from the oven and cool completely in the pan. Cut into four squares. Then cut each square into four bite size triangular brownies.



No comments:

Post a Comment