I have Loads of Apples on hand and my boyfriend, Joe, wanted something sweet. He asked if I could make homemade apple poptarts. I googled homemade poptarts and found this recipe. I'm glad I did because I found many other delicious recipes from the same blog. They taste much like a mini apple pie and are sooo delicious. I cant wait to switch the flavors up with strawberries, blueberries, brown sugar and cinnamon, peach, etc. I hope you try this one!!
Recipe (Culinary Concoctions by Peabody)
For Pie Crust
1 1/2 cups flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 cup shortening
1/4 cup butter, softened
3 tbsp. cold water
Jam (your choice)
Apple filling recipe below
1 cup powdered sugar
milk to thin
*try using different flavors for the glaze such as, maple syrup, orange juice, or vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Combine flour and salt in a large bowl. Add shortening and butter and blend with a fork, pastry cutter, or your hands. Blend until mixture is fairly coarse. Add water, 1 tbsp. at a time, gently mixing dough after each addiction until dough forms a ball.
2. Place dough on a lightly floured surface and roll into a square/rectangle. To about 1/8 thickness. Cut out long strips about 2 inches wide and 3 inches long. Repeat until dough runs out.
3. Take one pie crust rectangle and lace 1 tsp. of jam on top. Cover with another piece of pie crust and crimp all four edges. Repeat with the rest of dough. Place Pop-tarts on a baking sheet with parchment paper, and bake for 7-8 minutes.
4. While pop-tarts are baking, make glaze. Place powdered sugar in a bowl. Pour milk slowing until it has a consistancy of really thick syrup. 1/2 a tbsp. to 1 tbsp. might be enough.
5. Once pop-tarts are done and cooled, top with glaze. Sprinkle and decorate with colorful sprinkle
1/2 cup Brown Sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. pumpkin pie spice (use whatever spices you would like, I just had this on hand)
Dice Apples and and mix all ingredients in a pan. Cook over low to medium heat until mixture become a think sauce (I had to blend mine in the magic bullet to make it smooth). Let mixture cool before filling the dough.