Thursday, December 17, 2009

Chocolate Cupcakes with Chocolate Peppermint Frosting




  • (This is not my picture, but I forgot to take one of mine. 
  • It is pretty close, but my frosting was a lighter color)

  • I made these incredible Chocolate Cupcakes (with chocolate peppermint frosting) yesterday for one of my clients that turned 18. I was short on time so had to use a recipe that included ingredients I already had on hand. I'm glad I went to the Hershey's website and found this recipe. It was so moist and delicious! I saved two cupcakes in the refrigerator for Joe and I to eat. I swear this always makes cakes seem more moist. I did not use their frosting recipe, but I will tell you how I made mine.

  • Ingredients
  • 2 cups sugar
  • 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 3/4 cup HERSHEY'S Cocoa
  • 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 cup milk
  • 1/2 cup vegetable oil
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 1 cup boiling water
Directions:


1. Heat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour two 9-inch round baking pans. 

2. Stir together sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt in large bowl. Add eggs, milk, oil and vanilla; beat on medium speed of mixer 2 minutes. Stir in boiling water (batter will be thin). Pour batter into prepared pans. 

3. Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes; remove from pans to wire racks. Cool completely. 


Line muffin cups (2-1/2 inches in diameter) with paper bake cups. Heat oven to 350°F. Fill cups 2/3 full with batter. Bake 22 to 25 minutes. Cool completely. Frost. About 30 cupcakes. 



Chocolate-Peppermint Frosting
1/2 stick of butter
2 C of confectioner's sugar ( just used all I had left, but I think it was about 2 cups)
1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
1/2 to 1 tsp peppermint extract (depending how strong you want the peppermint)
half n half (you will have to decided when it is the right consistency, about 1/3 cup)
1/4 C to 1/2 C semisweet chocolate chips (I ran out of cocoa powder, but I think this worked well)
1/4 cup heavy cream


I apologize for not having exact measurements. I was choosing from the bare minimum ingredients I had in my home. I just dumped in the rest of everything I had. If it seems he frosting it too runny, add confectioners sugar. If too thick, add some half n half.


Directions
Using a mixer, blend softened butter, sugar, vanilla, peppermint, and half n half. In a microwave safe bowl, add chocolate chips and heavy cream. Cook on high until cream is hot and chocolate is starting to melt. Take out and stir until chocolate is completely melted. Add this to the rest of the ingredients and blend until fully incorporated. Frost cupcakes when they are completely cooled and top with crushed peppermint candy canes. 

2 comments: